At 11:55 p.m. last Sunday the water broke with a pop. Almost 24 hours later, at 10:05 p.m. Monday, after some complications, Olivia was born through an emergency C-section. My contractions didn’t come frequent enough, and after 21 hours of labour the baby’s heart rhythm was unstable, and the delivering doctor and midwives started to worry. An examination showed that I was fully dilated, but the baby’s head was still to high for me to be able to push without help. They took a blood sample from baby’s head which showed that she was stressed, so it was quickly decided that I should push through two contractions with help from vaccum extraction (not sure about translation), and if that didn’t work they would take her out with a Caesarian section. Which is what happened.
When they opened me up (I was under anesthesia), they saw that she had the umbilical cord around the neck, and that’s probably one of the reasons that she wouldn’t sink down into the pelvis. She was a bit taken but quickly recovered and was brought down to her waiting father so that he could care for her while I was stitched up and then held in post-op for a few hours.
No matter how much I wanted a natural birth, and though nothing went as I planned, I am not the least bit disappointed. I am just so happy that they got her out safely and that she is here with us.
She weighed 2995 grams (=6,602 lb), and was 49 cm “tall” (=1 foot, 7 inches).
I’m so happy, even though I’m quite affected by the operation and nothing’s as I had expected. We’re home now and my husband does a great job at taking care of both me and Olivia.